There is no specific age to toilet train a child. Instead, look out for signs that your child is ready to give it a go. Now remember, no two children are alike. So if your child resists, do consider leaving it for a little while, and try again some time later.
To help make the process less stressful for both you and your child, here are 5 signs that may indicate your child is ready for toilet training.
- Not wanting to stay in a wet diaper. Your child may pull or tug at their wet/soiled diaper to try and get it off.
- Is interested in using the toilet or going to the toilet
- Has a dry diaper for longer than usual – this shows that he/ she is able to hold their wee in his/her bladder
- Telling you (with words or actions) that they need to pee or poo before the do it in their diaper
- Begins to dislike wearing a diaper at all
Not all these signs need to be present, but if any of them are, it may indicate your child is ready to start toilet training.